Frequently Asked Questions
What should I bring to my Initial Consultation?
• Any correspondence you might have from medical professionals.
• A list of the medications that you may be taking.
• Results of any investigations that you might have had. If you have the radiology films, it would be great if you could bring them along as well but don't worry if you don't have them.
• A recent headache diary – if you have been in the habit of keeping one.
• Consider wearing clothing that is loose around the neck region so that the joints and soft tissues of the neck can be carefully evaluated.
If you could arrive 10 minutes before your initial appointment it would be much appreciated so that you can fill in your patient details forms.
How many sessions will I need?
If the initial evaluation supports the use of Watson Headache® Treatment to relieve your headache or migraine symptoms and restore normal biomechanics of the upper neck, most clients attend twice a week for two weeks. This strategy has been found clinically to obtain the best results. There needs to be appreciable improvements made over this time to warrant further sessions. If not, treatment is discontinued. 80% of clients require no more than six treatment sessions.
Should I see my doctor first?
• A referral from a medical practitioner is not required to see a physiotherapist, even when using Private Medical Insurance. You will need a GP referral if you are wanting to utilise the GPMP and TCA arrangements.
• You should see you doctor first with regards to your headache if:
- You are over the age of 50 at the time of headache onset or you have recently developed a new type of headache.
- If the onset of your headache was sudden and severe.
- You have had a recent trauma to your head or neck and you now have a new or significantly worsened headache.
- Your headache changes significantly with lying or standing
- You develop a stiff neck or spine with or without associated leg pain within days or weeks of a severe headache.
- You or your family have noticed changes in your coordination, concentration, level of alertness, or significant personality traits.
Should I bring a partner/friend?
• If you would like to bring a friend or partner, you are most welcome. However this is not essential.
Is there scientific evidence that treatment at Coastal Headache Clinic works?
• The manual therapy techniques that are at core of the Watson Headache® Approach have been scientifically shown to reduce sensitization within certain brain stem nuclei. The increased sensitivity of these nuclei is now considered to be a key feature found in sufferers of persistent headache and migraine. For more information about the Watson Headache® Approach click here.
What are the consultation costs?
Initial Consultation (50 mins): $149
Subsequent Consultation (30 mins): $89
Still not sure if evaluation and treatment at Coastal Headache Clinic is for you?
Contact us using the details below to receive a FREE 15 minute telephone clinical consult to discuss your condition further.